Major Gifts Officer
SCHWEITZER HAITI (HAS)
This position is ideal for a
fearless and passionate fundraiser who is committed to strategic
fund development for nonprofits through traditional and new
vehicles of fundraising. This is an opportunity for an
energized fundraising professional to interface with donors at a
national and international level for an established, highly
regarded healthcare facility in Haiti.
The mission of Hôpital Albert Schweitzer Haiti is to collaborate
with the people of central Haiti’s Artibonite Valley as they strive
to improve their health and quality of life. Founded in 1956,
Hôpital Albert Schweitzer Haiti is a 131-bed referral hospital that
provides surgical services, internal medicine, pediatrics,
high-risk maternity care, diagnostic services, and rehabilitation.
The hospital receives patients referred from four HAS community
health centers, as well as other local health centers.
The Major Gifts Officer is responsible for major gift
cultivation and acquisition for the organization focusing on
high-net-worth individuals, as well as U.S.-based private
foundations. The Officer is responsible for stewardship of existing
mid-level and major donors and for building a pipeline of donors
who will become future major donors. The job will require a high
degree of intrinsic motivation to reach ambitious goals for
connecting with donors on the phone and in-person, as well as a
high degree of flexibility to manage working within an evolving
program for a small, agile nonprofit.
The Major Gifts Officer is specifically or indirectly
responsible for the following:
- Conduct 100+ face-to-face meetings with prospective and
existing donors annually.
- Conduct “qualification” meetings with high potential
- Create custom stewardship and outreach designed for major
gift and mid-level donors.
- Identify markets where HAS has strong
advocates/supporters who can help cultivate new major gift
prospects and organize small fundraising events in those
- Work with Board members and existing major donors to develop
and implement plans for effectively cultivating new major gift
- Speak with authority on behalf of HAS Haiti at events.
- Identify and cultivate relationships with decision-makers at
U.S.-based private foundations.
- Coordinate and submit grant proposals and reports to private
- Bring highest-potential major gift prospects (individuals or
foundations) to Haiti to visit HAS, plan travel itineraries with
- Manage a travel budget.
- Effectively enter all donor data and activity into the Raiser’s
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
The ideal candidate has a blend of the following:
- Bachelor’s degree required
- A natural leader who can convey confidence, build relationships
and represent HAS Haiti.
- Self-directed as well as collegial.
- Strong writing skills, with the ability to manage competing
- Strong public presentation skills, with the ability to tailor
presentations to diverse audiences.
- Strong interpersonal skills, including the ability to build
relationships with diverse populations.
- Creative problem-solving skills, especially the ability
to determine how best to approach and engage prospects leveraging
Board and other connections.
- Experience traveling to and working in low-resource settings
outside of the U.S.
- The ability to travel extensively inside and outside the U.S.
up to 50% of the time.
- 3+ years of experience in nonprofit fundraising
Location/Region: Pittsburgh, PA (US - 15222)